From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 8:37 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1298 517TH PRCT - APRIL 5, 2007

70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

It's urgent that you reserve rooms at the DoubleTree hotel as soon as possible. You can always cancel if necessary. We have exceeded our allotment for June 27

Washington Reunion June 28-July 2 . All rooms for early arrivals are taken.   Banquet Sunday July 1. Depart Monday  July 2

Reunions 2007:    Click on these Links for Forms and Information

Palm Springs, CA Mini-Reunion             April 15 - 20

Recent website additions:
517th unit reported in Stars and Stripes 1945
Jack Dickson and A Company
Aimé Léocard's Story of the French Resistance
A Tribute to Aimé Léocard
more of Odas Sweet, H Company
Lucky Hiers bio
Ernest Morrison and Bill Lewis, HQ/2

 Click on http://517prct.org/auxiliary/ to find the mission of the Auxiliary and an enrollment form
Theresa Pugh

Hi, Mr. Barrett:

I am Charles Pugh's daughter, Theresa Pugh. His wife, Ann Pugh, lives with me in Alexandria Virginia.
If you post my e mail address, please do not post my work e mail but post theresapugh@mindspring.com

Allan Johnson called me at work in response to an offer that I made on behalf of my mother, Ann Pugh and I.  Four years ago she moved in with me (from Texas)  to Alexandria VA just a few miles from the hotel where the 596 reunion will be. As you know, my Dad died five years ago.

I communicated with Allan Johnson and Claire, his daughter, about holding an event at my house on Sunday, July 1st in the late afternoon -- before the group dinner.

We know how crazy Dad was about his friends in the 596 (and friends in the 517th). I helped him with his 596 newsletter for years when I was in school. And I have met quite a few of the men and their wives both in Texas and in Washington DC where I have lived for 20 years.

We would like to hold a casual cocktail/lemonade/iced tea party at our home from 3-6 PM on Sunday July 1st before the dinner that evening.   We realize that some will want to leave the cocktail reception a bit early in order to rest or change for the dinner that evening. But the house is located only 5 minutes away by cab from the hotel. Folks can easily shower and get ready for the dinner if they leave my home at 4:30 or 5 PM. We also know that the organizers have arranged for a Spirit of Washington Cruise on the Potomac. Folks can do both the Spirit of Washington cruise and the cocktail party at our house by taking a taxi to my home after the cruise. I believe the cruise ends at 2:45 and the location is only 15 minutes from my house by car.

I also wanted to know if you have the ability to let friends of my Dad's know who are in the 517th regiment. It would be our honor to have as many as 40 people to the house (where we have seating in two living room areas for 20 each). We also have a deck that can accommodate 15 people (assuming it is not too hot and muggy to sit outside).  I would recommend that people dress casually as Washington can be hot on July 1st. Gentlemen, no ties and coats please.

Our house is located only 3 miles from the hotel and is easy to reach by car or cab. I'd recommend that people take a taxi from the hotel. Groups of 3 or 4 could share a cab from the hotel and the price would be about $15 from door to door.  In the metropolitan area, cabs are safe, reliable and affordable.  Some cabs are also handicap accessible for wheelchairs, walkers and canes if you ask the concierge or porter to request one in advance.

Also, our home is handicap accessible with no stairs at the door, wide doorways and a stair chair on the internal staircase for anyone who wants to go downstairs to my Mom's one floor apartment. (My mom has somewhat limited mobility and uses a stair chair regularly). The bathrooms are handicap accessible.

We know that some folks from the 596 and 517th might not drive so they are welcome to bring their adult kids and grandkids (as long as over 12 years of age since the house is NOT childproof for young kids).

Anyway, I wonder if you could post this invitation and cover note. We' d like to have RSVP, if attending,  by June 12th so that I know who is coming. Please have them RSVP if attending by June 12  to theresapugh@mindspring.com or by calling 703 931 1945.

What                    Cocktail & soft beverage reception

When                    Sunday, July 1st, 2007 (during reunion)

Time                    3-6 PM

Who is invited          Former 596 and 517 soldiers and their wives (or widows) and adult children (and grandkids over 12)

Where               Home of Ann Pugh (wife of Charles Pugh) &
                           Theresa Pugh (daughter's home

                        2313 North Tracy Street (3 miles from the hotel)
                        Alexandria, VA 22311

RSVP                    If attending, please respond by June 12th.

Attire                  Casual--khakis, shorts, jeans, skirts--no ties please

Questions?              Theresa Pugh
                        theresapugh@mindspring.com
                        703 931 1945

Driving?                See directions at the bottom

Taking cab?             Just ask hotel to get you a cab. Cabs in the area are safe and convenient. Cost $10-15 each way--

                                   cab can take up to 4 people. Hotel can request cabs for wheelchairs if requested in advance.

Handicap access?        Yes, our home is handicap access for wheelchairs, walkers and canes. We have no pets

Companions?        Feel free to bring adult kids and grandchildren over 12, all spouses, dates or significant others of 596 & 517th group.

Charge?         Of course not--just come and enjoy.

Directions from hotel   Take Highway 395 SOUTH away from DC. Go about 1.5 miles and look for Seminary Road WEST exit. Take this exit and you are heading west (away from Old Town Alexandria). Merge into traffic and stay in either right lane. You will see a Hilton Hotel on your left at the intersection.  Pass through intersection of North Beauregard and Seminary Road. Get in left lane.

Turn left onto FILLMORE STREET. There is no protected turn. Be patient as there are be a bit of a wait on a weekend. Take FILLMORE all the way to the dead end--about 1 mile. FILLMORE has twists and turns and two stop signs. Just before dead-end, you will see that the name FILLMORE changes to CHAMBLISS. Just stay on FILLMORE/CHAMBLISS streets.  At the dead-end you will see  a park and tennis courts on your left.

At the dead-end you have no choice but to turn right onto GRIGSBY. Grigsby is a short street with only 3 houses and it is on a slight hill. At the end of Grigsby you will dead-end into NORTH TRACY STREET (which my street). Turn left onto North Tracy and park. The house is off cream colored brick house with Spanish wrought iron planters. Anyone with a wheelchair or needing special assistance can park in the driveway. Park anywhere along the street. There is plenty of parking.

If you get lost--call 703 931 1945.

Theresa Pugh
Director
Environmental Services
American Public Power Association (APPA)
2301 M Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20037
(202) 467-2943 direct
(202) 467-2992 fax

Bob Dalrymple

Dear family and friends, I have not received any mail from anyone since 15 March.  I have no idea what is wrong, but I shall investigate.  In the meantime, I suffered a devastating kidney stone attack on 15 March.  I was carted to the ER for three days then to the nursing center for nine days.  I am home now, somewhat feeble, but improving.  I still plan To go to the Palm Springs mini, but will have to cancel going to the National Reunion at DC (darn!).  Let me hear from you.  For Irma and Arnold: I will be praying for your early recovery, Irma.  Faithfully, Bob

Bob Barrett
I missed the beginning of the PBS show on Terry Sanford - "Terry Sanford and the New South".  The show is mostly about his days as governor, leading the “new south”.  There is a short intro before that, most of which I missed, but I did see some film footage of paratroopers and discussion about the Battle of the Bulge.  I didn’t catch whether they specifically mentioned the 517th.

The show will be rebroadcast a few times over the next few days, including channel 44 (Boston PBS) at 3:30 PM tomorrow, 4/3/2007

Bob Barrett

Mike Kane

Hi Ben.   The Stars and Stripes article sent in by Gen. Seitz via Leo Dean was a real treat, especially when got to the very end and found a familiar name.  Thanks.

Mike Kane, Jr.
JOE  CALDER

Ben:

Wells' was attached to my S4 Section on occasions.  The jeep had to be
mine.  I was the only one in the 3rd Battalion who had a jeep