From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:42 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1769- 517TH PRCT-APRIL 11, 2009

Send contributions for Film Project to.
                                         Leo Dean

Update on the                  14 Stonehenge Lane

517th Film Project            Albany, NY  12203

Photo from St. Cezaire

Photos from Operation Dragoon

A Chronology of the 517th PIR

Operation Dragoon Drop Zone Map, by Clark Archer

1944 Dec 14 - Hamburg Iowa Reporter - Howard Hensleigh in Les Arc

Reunion info:

Nancy Fraser Armand,

 Hello Ben,

This is Nancy Fraser Armand. I am getting mailcall and still want to receive it, but miss my dad tremendously, so am sometimes slow to open them.

By any chance, do you have Lizzie's address in France. Vanessa is studying French in Paris and will be in Nice at the end of May. She has tried to email Lizzie and Michael and no response. About a year ago, we got an email like one of them might have been sick. Vanessa was also offered a teaching assistant job in Nice, France for the 2009-2010 school year after she graduates in June this year. Do you also have Claire's phone number?

How are you feeling now?

My sister, Bonnie is doing OK but her husband lost his job. I will be coming to Salt Lake, and I will try to help my sister get there as well.

I plan to go to France and Belgium in August, but need to see the cost and if there is any space left with anyone from our group.

Thanks for your time,

Nancy Fraser Armand,

Bob Barrett

I’m not sure if I mentioned it already, but I added some photos of Howard to his bio page:

 http://www.517prct.org/bios.htm

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Bill Goswick:  Thank you for identifying your uncle Jesse for us.  We hope to have something to leave in St. Cezaire this summer in remembrance of his supreme sacrifice in liberating the town.

WE WISH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A HAPPY EASTER.  Howard Hensleigh

Tom McAvoy

This is a graphic of the chronology of the space station growth.  Surprised me.  It has gotten BIG!

  http://i.usatoday.net/tech/graphics/iss_timeline/flash.htm

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

 Dear Ben:  Thank you for sharing Irma's last two emails.  We are very sorry to hear the news about her health as she is a most energized human being who has had such a positive effect on so many people.  Please let her know she is in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy return to good health.

    Following Irma's lead,  a very blessed and Happy Easter to all.
    Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
PS  Thank you for running the article Irma wrote.
Tom Copsey

Ben - Hi and thanks for responding.  Good for you on the return trip with the family.    Wish I had been able to bring Pop at some time.  He did enjoy Paris (he mentioned the Folies Bergère fondly) during some of his off time but that may have been when he was with the 504th at the end of the war

Claire, can you fill me in on y'alls plans for the Europe visit?

Will see everyone in Salt Lake City (and maybe Europe)

R/Tom

Wayne Cross

Jean-Loup and Gilles, attached is a PDF file containing scans of 517th Daily reports that were written by each unit commander of the 517th in the days following the initial Dragoon operations (timeframe from D-day to D+3).  I don't believe many people have seen this material.  Years ago I tried having it transcribed, but the typist had little appreciation for military terms and the quality was poor.  There is nothing better than the original source material.  As I understand from my father (Col. Thomas R. Cross, USA Ret.) he pulled the mimeographs scanned in the attached file from a waste paper basket after the war when he was attached to the 505 of the 82nd Airborne.  Many of the original officers and men of the 517th were absorbed into the 82nd after the war.  I think as you and Giles read this material it would be helpful to refer to the map Clark Archer constructed that lists the various sticks and drop zones.  This map was recently added to the 517th website by Ben.

Ben, I think these daily reports might come in handy for the film project that is being planned of the 517th.  They might help troopers with their recollections and in many instances the KIA and WIA are mentioned in the reports.  This certainly should be kept in mind as people think about commemorative plaques that they might want to present at locations in S. France that were liberated by the 1st Airborne.

Jean-Loup and Gilles, thanks for getting me off my duff and getting this finished.  It is something I've promised myself I would do for some time.  Thank you also for keeping the memory of these brave men alive.  It is a large file so please confirm back to me that you received it.  regards, -wayne

Jean-Loup Gassend

Dear Mr Cross

This is Jean-Loup Gassend, from southern France. I wrote to you last year after you located the text concerning the liberation of la Roquette by the 517th. I  told you at the time I would be very interested to see any similar texts concerning southern France for the book I am planning on witting. It seems to me a few months ago you said in mail call that you had indeed found  some new texts, and posted links to them, but I was unable to get the links to  work.  So I would like to ask you: have you managed to find any new texts about the  517th in southern France?

Thanks for your help

Jean-Loup