From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:49 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1657-517TH PRCT_ NOVEMBER 12, 2008

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

Hosted by: Leila Webb, Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 192 West

Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb, Helen Beddow and Lou Darden

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Room Rate - $65.00            Registration Fee - $40.00

Palm Springs, C A

West Coast Party

April 20-24, 2009

Recent website additions:

596th PCEC Newsletters 1980-1983

Sospel 1944 and 2008

Pvt. Richard Whidden, D Company

Col de Braus battle - 64th anniversary

Sospel 1943 and nows

Claire Giblin

Hello, Ben -

I can't let Veterans Day pass without extending my very best wishes to my very favorite vets, the men of the 517.

Thank you for all you have done for our great country.  You stepped up to the plate when our nation so needed you and served selflessly.  It is an honor to be associated with this fine organization.

At a time when many other WWII units have disbanded, the 517 is more active than ever.  We have three reunions ahead of us: Kissimmee in January, Palm Springs in April, and Salt Lake City in July.  Make plans to attend as many reunions as possible in your 65th anniversary year!  We did a lot of raw filming at the St. Louis reunion; we are also hoping to work with a tour company to organize a trip to Europe for August.  Make this year the year to spend a weekend with the fine men and families of the 517!

Claire Giblin
daughter Allan Johnson, 596

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:  A very blessed Happy Veterans Day to all who have served and are serving in our  armed forces and who have given so much so that the rest of us could be free.  A very special salute to the outstanding men of the 517th.  Airborne All the Way!
With great gratitude,
Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
PS  Thank you also to Irma, Arnold and Marie for the Mass and ceremony of remembrance.  You all are wonderful.

Bob Dalrymple
Dear Ben , Steve , and et al, The Lonesome Cowboys had a great run from its founding in 1982 to 1996 . We had about 150 performances in the Green Valley area , and some in Tucson . and the same number of rehearsals,  all in our living room and every week . At our peak we numbered  20 voices : 1st and 2nd Bass and 1st and 2nd Tenor . In those days I was a top Tenor . Our season was Oct To April because the "Snowbirds " flew back up north  starting in April. I hope a number of you troopers are still singing . I am very fortunate to be able to carry a tune at 91 , and I continue to sing in a trio here with my retirement companions . God Bless, Bob

Ray Estrella

Hello Ben, from our Airborne Family,  best wishes to you, and the rest of the men of the 517th on this Veterans Day. On a personal basis, men like you were the inspiration in my also becoming a paratrooper. Ever since I can remember, I knew that someday I would join the Army, go to jump school, and try and earn my wings.  As fate would have it, I was lucky enough to build and enjoy a friendship and strong bond with several members of the 517. 1.My CO in Special Forces was Gene Frice. 2.My Father-In-Law is Elbert G. Duran-A Co. 3. I was founding president of our Special Forces Chapter that we named after a 517th man, Col Frank J. Dallas. All members of the 517, past and present are true heroes.-"Airborne All The Way"--Ray Estrella

Lilia and Bill Webb
HI All,

This is to give our new email address. It is now:

Please change it on your mailing addresses, so that we can stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Leila and Bill Webb
Mike Davis
Ben, Please share this with all the 517th

This what I wrote and had Craig Holmes….Elder in oversight of the military ministry….read in service

I will apologize ahead of time…I don’t want to make you cry!

Story Title: The Power of Praying Women

Gareth Lamont Davis

Served as: Army Paratrooper Special Forces / 517th Regimental Combat Team / Scout

Involved with: Invasion of France / Battle of the Bulge / 3 Purple Hearts / Bronze Star

Saturday, October 25th, I was having dinner at my dad’s house. It was a challenge for him to sit with us for he was not feeling well. Although I knew he never claimed to be much of a public speaker, I asked if he would share at church for the veteran’s day service about a story he had shared with me many times before. He was hesitant….I asked if he would stand up front with me for just a few moments and let me interview him. After thinking about this for what seemed like forever, he said he would do that with me… and grew more excited about it as the evening progressed.

My dad and I would never have the opportunity to share that moment….he passed away to join his savior two mornings later.

This is his story…

His Grandma Poirier loved the Lord and worshiped at Pentecostal Assembly of God down on Indiana and Post in Spokane…currently called First Assembly…..and by the way… the church that Raelyn and I were saved at. When Dad left in the spring of 1943 for war, there were also (6) other families that had boys go off to war. During the entire time that these boys were gone, Grandma Poirier’s women’s group prayed regularly for God’s wisdom and safety. Please keep in mind that Dad’s battalion…the 517th had 1500 men…and also recorded the highest casualty rate for the European theater….over 1500 casualties. Dad experienced 3 of those, resulting in his 3 purple hearts. At the end of the war…… All seven of those boys came home!!