From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1407 517TH PRCT-OCTOBER 3, 2007
70  Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA. 02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

I have in this Mail Call a poem by Nacho Vasquez from the book "Not Ready To Die" edited by his former wife, Nila Gott. ngott@neteze.com  A big story in a little book about a 517 soldier. I think it is appropriate to repeat it after receiving  Claire's email.

 Paratroopers' Odyssey is  available for $22.50. Send payment to Leo Dean.

You may at times have a problem viewing photos. However, we place most photos on the website under Training and WWII Photos .

Please try to send in donations by August 15 to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the for the Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.    Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

I just watched the last installment of Ken Burns' The War.  Tonight was about the end of the war, homecoming, and the aftermath.

Since we've started going to reunions, Dad (Allan Johnson, 596) has talked more about his experiences.  He came home on a ship into New York Harbor just a few days before Christmas, 1945.  He'd grown up on Staten Island; New York Harbor was home to him.  The Statue of Liberty, dark during the war, was lit up in all her glory.  He was excited to be home, grabbing guys and telling them, "I live right over that hill!"

Many of the men, though, had never seen the Statue of Liberty.  They'd been fighting - for her and all she represents - for years, and now, here she was.  It always brings a tear to my eye when he tells of how the men were talking to her and shouting for her.  "We did it for you!"  "And we'll go back and do it again if we have to!"  Others were quiet and personal - just so glad to see her.

It took Dad another few days to get himself processed, discharged, and back to New York, but he made it for Christmas.

Tell your stories today.  Write them down, talk into a tape recorder, get a grandchild to hold the camcorder or set you up in an empty room.  Do it today.  Every memory is important.

Hugs to all my favorite vets -

Claire Giblin

President, 517 Auxiliary-Friend and Family

Teresa

Dear Family and Friends:
I received a message from my cousin Kathleen (from Jacksonville, FL), her grandson John has been hit in Iraq. Shrapnel has sprayed his back, severed his left ear and he has a concussion. Your prayers are very much appreciated!
God Bless you all,
Teresa

Teresa is the Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant that befriended us at the Washington reunion.  A group of us were having lunch when we met Teresa. I can't remember who was sitting with me, but I remember Teresa.  The next day she spent considerable time with us in our hospitality  room. - Ben

Juliana Stonis

Hi Ben,

Can you  add me to the Mail Call list?

Thanks So much!
Juliana Stonis

Bob Christie

Greetings to all Mail Call recipients. Our President, Darrell Egner has suggested that I solicit news items for the Thunderbolt from all who participate in Mail Call. I think that is an excellent suggestion.  More news from our membership is just what would interest our readers. Since I have relinquished the Treasurer's job, I receive very few "Letters to the Editor".  Please send me any and all stories and news that would be welcomed by our 517th. Family. Thank you and Airborne all the way, Bob
Mike Wells