From: ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 3:12 PM
To: rbarrett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1942 -517TH PRCT-DECEMBER 21. 2009
Trying a new attempt to get Mail Call out. I will send it to Bob and see if he can send it from his computer.  This is not complete and no photos.

                   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on
Hello

Arrived at Tahoe last evening without problem. Just followed snow plows.

Please make reservations for Florida Reunion Jan. 16, as soon as possible . Host has to make  down payment  for banquet.

Please do not  send downloads when just an email will do.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road
                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00    More information Mail Call No 1916

Read Front pages of "Stars and Stripes" Dec. 1944

Dec. 20, 1944 Dec. 21, 1944

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Dear Ben:

        Would you please let Irma know how very sorry we are to hear of her broken arm.  We hope she has a very speedy recovery.
        Our thanks to Lory Curtis for his email.  As this is the time of the Bulge, we would like to thank all of the members of the 517th for their heroism and sacrifices 65 years ago.  But for their dedication and commitment the Nazi's would not have been defeated and we shutter to think of what it would have been like had they not been successful.  In this holy season we as God's blessings on all those who served in the 517th and we say thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
      Merry Christmas to the band of brothers and their descendants and to those who continue to preserve the history of the outfit in the U.S., France and Belgium.  You are outstanding.  Happy New Year too.
      Pat Seitz and Alan Greer.

Irma and Arnold Targnion

dear Pat and dear Alan,
Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes. I am a little better, I try to avoid the tablets for the pain; I must keep my arm in a sling for 3 weeks more. Arnold is wonderful to take of me. he attended the ceremonies in this area for the 65° anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge. I do hope to be able to attend the Holy Mass of souvenir in st Jacques on jan. 9 -  we think of you and of our dear friends veterans with a deep respect and gratitude - God bless you and your family. MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY and HEALTHY NEW YEAR. Irma, Arnold and your friends from Belgium

Herb

Received a Christmas card and note from Hal Eddy of the 596.  His message says "things are pretty bleak since Polly, his wife, has had 2 strokes and is now in a nursing home. He is struggling to keep going."  Don't know if he has a e-mail address but his postal address is l737 Brinton Ave., Dixon, IL 6l02l.  Again, to all - Merry Christmas and a Happy, HEALTHY 2010.  Herb Reichwald (596)

Jay Sutcliffe

Hello Ben,

I’m enjoying the e-mails everyday.  I had a similar problem with my e-mail.  Even though I was getting return mail saying the recipients weren’t receiving messages they were.

Keep em coming, enjoy them all!!

Thanks and have a great Christmas

Lucky Hiers

Ben, we did not get the 12-19 Mail Call No.. 1940.
I will contact our provider but it seems you have the msg. that hotmail has too many Emails going out.  Hear over the news today that Christmas cards aren't using the post office so much but are using the internet/Email greetings.  THAT may be causing the problem.  If I get anything definitive I will definitely let you know.   YOU DON'T NEED more to do!
Billie and I really do appreciate the time and energy you have put forth for such a long time.
It is good to see some younger people stepping up to the plate to help you, and us.

Hope your Christmas holiday will be "merry and bright."
Lucky Hiers
Airborne!

Darrell Egner

Bob

I pulled up the pictures from the Life article that you posted.  At first I thought it was us as it looked like our convoy but these were not pictures of the 517, if you look close the 3 Qt ton trucks were pulling artillery guns.  It could have been the 3rd Armored Division on the way to the Bulge.  Just a guess on my part.

Frankly I have seen pictures of us in open trucks going up to the Bulge but I can't recall when I saw them or where.  I'm sure all of us that made that trip would agree that the conditions (rain, snow, cold) were awful.  We were packed in those truck where we could not even sit down.  The trip was so bad I for one couldn't wait to get in to battle.  Even the tree bursts the Germans were firing wasn't as bad as that ride. The end of our trip was made on our feet as the trucks got stuck in the mud and I seem to remember some ran out of fuel.

The first link you posted I could not pull up as it said "Page not found".  The second link with the pictures looked very familiar as far as the snow, etc. but to the best of my poor memory they were not of the 517.

Well I screwed up again.  Bob as you suggested I looked all afternoon and missed a football game going through the old Thunderbolts from the 1990's.  In fact the picture is from our own 460, Battery D.  It was sent in by Jose E. Sentiago in the 1st Quarter T'Bolt in 1991.  His head is the one sticking up over the top of the first truck.  If you send me your mailing address I will make a copy of the picture and article he wrote and send it to you.  My picture is probably in one of the big trucks leading the parade but I dare you to find it.

Boy if I had a memory like Howard H I would be dangerous.  Looking through the old T'Bolts remained me of all the work that Bill & Irene Lewis did.  I was honored to spend a few minutes with Irene at the Washington Reunion.  Thanks for all the work you and your Dad do for the 517 PRCT.  I don't know what we would do with out you two.

Darrell Egner