From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 9:40 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1917 - 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 23, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

If you only read one item in this Mail Call, click on
Aim* S. LEOCARD It is about history and a friend of the 517th who recently passed away.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Florida Mini Reunion
January 16 - 20, 2010

Location:  Ramada Gateway Hotel
                  Kissimmee, Fl  34747
                  Reservations:  1-800-272-6232
                                             www.ramadagateway.com
Contact:   Leila Webb
                  4155 Kissimmee Park Road
                  St. Cloud, FL  34772
                   407-892-3595

Registration fee:  $40.00    More information Mail Call No 1916

Bill Christian

Lory Curtis

Ben,
Happy Thanksgiving to all troopers and their families.  I plan on having a restful day, and that is because of what you and all the other men in World War II did for us.  We can continue to be thankful for this great country we live in, and for your sacrifices  all of you made for us so many years ago.  In the book Letters Home a Paratroopers Story, my Dad wrote his mother on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 23, 1944 from Soissons France (near Reims) and told her this about what kind of meal they were having in the 517th that day.  He said:

"Oh yes, today is Thanksgiving isn't it?  We have a regular field kitchen now, and from what they tell me, I gather we are going to have pretty good chow today with turkey and all the trimmings.  It seems funny after so long of cooking your own food to have some else do it now, and sweating out a chow line again."

Happy Thanksgiving

Lory Curtis and family, son of Bud Curtis
Darrell Egner
I saw Rick Sweets comments on the WWII movie.  I wasted 5 nights watching it and there was no mention of Paratroops.  I saw a few shots of Jump Boots in the movie but most the men had legions and shoes.  Hell there would still be a war or we would all be speaking German without the Paratroopers.

Some time ago I saw another message from Rick Sweet in Mail Call regarding National Reunions.  I believe he said he would like to bring his mother to the next one.  Rick please consider bringing your Mom and you to one of the Mini Reunions in Florida or California.

I have explained many times in the past our decision  (The Board) not to have any after Salt Lake City.  Several facts entered into this decision.  Three reunions in a 7 month span is more then most people can travel to plus spending that much money in these poor times is out of the question for most.  I have attended 6 reunions in the past 2 years and it seems like I spent much of my time planning and traveling.  The other reason for not holding National Reunions we were hoping to increase attendance at the Minis.  The attendance has run between 50 - 60 persons.  Hopefully more people will attend the Minis and while they don't follow the format of the National Reunions they are fun and well run.  Another reason we have gone from over 500 attendees and we were lucky to get 163 persons at the SLC Reunion and it can only go down from that and we all know why.

I was involved in the last two and believe me the Chair and her/his committees started working in January and worked everyday until July.  It's a tough job and some thing us old guys aren't up to doing.  The last two reunions were headed up by Chris Lindner and Lory Curtis, both children of troopers that have since passed on.

Rick I don't know where you live but bring your Mom down to Florida or California and I can promise you that you will have a great time and warm weather
.
Darrell Egner
Frederic Brega

Dear Ben,

With scanned pictures I will definitely be able to identify the unit (FSSF or 517th?) by a careful study of the uniforms and patches details.

You can propose to Kelly to contact me.

Have a good day,

Frederic Brega

George Kundahl

Ben, are you aware of a Colonel (or Lt. Col.) Walker who served with the regiment?  I'm just curious about his first name, as there were many Walkers engaged in World War II.  Thanks.  George Kundahl

Harris Johnson
My thanks to Howard Hensleigh for his response in Mail Call NO 1915 to my earlier observation.

I do recall one story from my father in law, Pfc Lawrence W. Shipp, Service Company, who once made his living as a daredevil rider in a carnival; most of us remember motorcycles whizzing around the circular arena cup until they were able to get to the top with enough speed.  Because of this experience he was put to working on motorcycles  perhaps obtained, as reported to Mrs Shortt,  the same way some jeeps were acquired, in Italy around the time he was wounded 28 June 1944 - before or after, I do not know - and he recalled those days as some of his best in the 517th.  He never told me what happened to the motorcycles.

Anybody remember those motorcycles?

Scott Ramsey
Hello-

  Just wanted to wish my friends a very Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you will be with family and/or friends this Thursday. I believe we all have something or someone to be thankful for. Please take care if you are traveling this week and don't eat too much.

If you have any remembrances of a Thanksgiving during WWII please send them as I would love to hear about it.

My family and I thank YOU for all that you have done.
Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless,

--
Scott Ramsey
WWII Interviews, stories, personal histories, uniforms, maps, documents, gear, photographs, and anything else related to WWII