From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:47 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL N0. 1915- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 22, 2009

Hello,   http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/calls/mailcall.mp3< Click on

Important for those seeking information about someone who may have been in the 517th. We may get information at a later date and unless you have indicated that you wanted to receive Mail Call, I may not have your email address.

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

Darrell Egner

Hunter McDonald called me today and he is home from the Hospital.  GREAT!

He went in for a Major Heart Operation on November 2.  The operation went well but he developed complications and was in Intensive Care for 20 days.  Emme kept me up dated every few days on his condition and it was nip and tuck.  He told me that he had the first good nights sleep last night.  As many of us know they wake you up every hour when you are in the IC.  One night they woke me to ask if I was OK at 4 AM.  I won't tell you what I told the nurse.

I am so happy that Hunter and his family can breath easy after 20 days.  He planned to have Emme make their reservations for Kissimmee today.  He mentioned he was lucky to come through the operation.  My comment was hell you were lucky all your life as you survived being a Paratrooper.

Darrell
Egner

Leo Dean
Leo has informed me that W.R. Beulow recently passed away. He was Captain of Service Battery and the S-4 (Supply) in the 460th.

Gene Brissey

Ben this is Gene.  Thank you and all my other friends for all that has been shared in the 517 mail call.  My daughter is teaching me how to use my new computer.  My old one went down several weeks ago and I had to figure out how to use the new fangled system before I could get back in touch.

Gene Brissey
Company E 517th
Howard Hensleigh----For Mrs Shortt

Ben:

If this weren't a story from Italy, I would consider it unlikely, but Mark Clark and his HQ considered us 5th Army troops and we got supplies and transportation direct from 5th Army.  Maj. Hickman and Kenny Freund were always treated well because when they asked Army for something the request was in small numbers when compared to the ones received from Corps and Divisions.  We had more transportation in Italy then we ever had since.  This did not deter "Col. Graves and his 3500 thieves" from picking up a jeep or two here and there when they were available for the taking.

We might ask Mrs. Shortt if her husband was with a Bn. or regimental S-2 section because these guys were doing S-2 work.  I don't know if you can get anything on Goggle or other search engines on the POW camps, but the one in or near Frankfort should be easy to find.  .

I'm not trying to increase your work load and thank the Lord every day for all you do for us and those who write in.  HH

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Harris Johnson--about lack of credit for the men of Service Company.

First, you have a valid point.

The Infantry called the Queen of Battle or Ground Pounders and even more derogatory terms, is composed of internal organizations all of which support the individual rifleman who who takes and holds the ground.  Although there are other army units who do this such as the old horse cavalry that turned to tanks during WWII.  The chief function of larger elements such as the Air Force and Navy, who would not admit it, is to support the individual riflemen in taking and holding ground.  Behind the rifleman, even within the platoon you have machine gunners and mortarmen who support the rifleman.  You never hear of a company or battalion headquarters taking an objective.  They are vital in command and control, but they could be considered support for the rifleman.  Our battalion headquarters companies had communications, mortar and machine gun/bazooka platoons that supported your companies and their riflemen.  When you get to regimental headquarters there are a lot more support elements.  All of these support elements are absolutely essential, but when history is written the elements that are supported get the credit.  Your father probably was in Lt. Boom Boom Alicki's demolitions section.  When a bridge or something else needed to be blown they did it even if it were out  beyond our lines.  Service Company made sure we had supplies of ammunition, gasoline, rations, water, boots, clothing etc.  Without them none of us would have survived.

On the way to Callian after the drop, I found a man in Service Company who could speak French and he helped get a guide and a lot of information in Callian.  I give him credit whenever I can.  This does not make up for the omissions elsewhere, but as you mention history does not give credit to all to whom it is due.  Your father did his part in a large team that worked together with each man doing his job to accomplish the missions.  At the end of the day we all know how we contributed, whether anyone else knows it or not.

You are on the right track, Keep the faith.

Howard Hensleigh

Howard Hensleigh - For Kelly Schultz

 Thank you for your interest in the 517th.  We have searched our rosters and do not find your father's name (if this is the case).  From the pictures and other information you have about the 517th, he must have served with us on some of our missions.  He may have been dropped into Southern France before our airborne invasion on August 15, 1944 to work with the French resistance in preparation for the invasion.  British and Americans did this.  The 3rd Bn. 517th made contact with British elements when the S-2 section found their jeep disabled by German 20 mms near Feyance, France.  After the S-2 section fixed the jeep, the Brits showed up to reclaim it.  With your father's language speaking ability, he is the type of man who would be sought out by the OSS (Office of Strategic Services)  headed up by Major General William (Bill) Donovan.  Most of their operations were kept secret until the 70s and 80s when a lot of it was declassified.

Ben; This is  an educated guess, but she may be able to find something in the OSS files.  HH

Michael and Eric

Dear Ben , dear you all,

About the information regarding Alvin Shultz, i will check on my OSS archives i had from our friend OSS captain Geof JONES, JONES was parachuted on the 11 of august 1944 with a group of french and american soldiers to organise your "welcome" with the french resistance.
I also ask to a friend , french resistant who lead the way to a group of Jedburg parachuted in the region up in the mountain.
that will be a good help if Kelly if there is dates behind with hand witting, as Gilles Gignard said the evollution of the uniforms during WWII can help us in this interesting research.
the other possibility will be that this soldier parachuted via OSS or jedburg behind the enemy lines with the french resistance help, joined after his mission the spain, north africa , then Italy and took part of the airborne operation in southern France with the 517th as a former paratrooper.  In that case, the green stripes just mean a lot of camouflage spray on his helmet as it was usual in this airborne operation.

keep in touch

best regards to you all

Michael and Eric
Airborne Museum Le MUY France

Mike Moyer-  Reply to Michael Wells

Thank you for that information.  Another piece of the puzzle falls into place. regards,
Mike Moyer

I have more mail that will be in next Mail Call. When Howard speaks we listen.  -  Ben