From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 7:45 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1898, -517TH PRCT- 0CTOBRER 29, 2009

Please send links when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Batallion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

7470 Highway 1192 West   Kissimmee, Florida 34747

We owe the WWII generation a debt we can never repay

After meeting British veterans during and after the war, I have great respect for the British soldier and British people-Ben

Helen Beddow

 Greetings to all on the Thunderbolt list!!

Yes, Claire and I are working on this issue of the T'bolt, and hopefully, it will go to the printer very soon.  Just in case you think you have missed an issue, the last issue was Summer 2009, Vol. 5.

The trip to France was so fantastic that it took me a month after we returned home to get my feet on the ground and to get in the groove once again.  Getting back into the groove was not easy and I am still working on it.  Both Claire and I have had busy work schedules with school back in session, however, we have not forgotten any of you.

As I am working on the T'bolt, we still do not have anyone to host the next annual reunion.  Nashville was a popular choice with many of the people at Salt Lake City, however, if someone wants to host it elsewhere, that would be fine also.  At this point, it is still possible to host a reunion for the end of June or first of July.  We need someone to get their family and 517th friends together and say "YES, we will host the reunion"!!  Please give this some strong consideration.

Now it is time to get back to the Thunderbolt.  Hugs to all of you 517th guys and your families!!
Jay Sutcliffe

Hello Ben,

I’m hoping one of the Mail Call recipients can help me with this question.  I was looking over my father’s discharge papers, the reason I was reviewing, we are in the process of putting my mother in a nursing home, and we receive a reduction if we could prove my father was a veteran.  I live in Gloucester County, NJ, I don’t know if this is a County benefit or NJ benefit only, but if anyone on Mail Call falls into the same situation they might want to look into this. Anyway, while looking over Discharge Papers it has my father being in the 513th not the 517th.  I don’t know if this is a typo, or he was actually assigned to the 513 before his discharge.  I do know the 513 was attached to the 82nd, I think??  It also has my father listed in “H” Company, which he was in with the 517.  Could he have been in the 513?

 Thanks

Many discharge papers are inaccurate or not complete. He very well could have been in the 513th at one time. I was in the 515th before joining the 517th.

James Sutcliffe was definitely in H Co.517th:      December 1944 roster

Ben
 Jennifer Bowman

Hello. Mr Barrett .my name is Jennifer Bowman.  my father Theodore R Bowman was in the 517th .I just got off the phone with  Mr Gene Frice we had a delightful talk  I was looking for photos of if any exist of my father from WWII (so many men!) my father past away two years ago from lung cancer he had moved to Spokane Washington where I live today.  after my father past my mother had given all the medals and stuff of my fathers to my brother.  I thought my brother should have them but I find that now I wished i could have a set also is there a way for me to do so.  everything from patches to any little thing, then are there any men that remember my father from then?  I would love to hear from them.  I am very lucky to have had a great father as he In my life and just want to know more about those times.  So if you could help me in all my quest I would so appreciate it. thank you so much for you time.  Ms.Jennifer Bowman.

Ted Bowman was in B Co. Can anyone help Jennifer, perhaps a photo?
Jennifer ask your congress person to get medals. He has interns too do the work. Ben

Marie-Louse Spencer

Hi, Ben! I admire you so for all you do! Thank you!
Re: your E-mail call #1890 about Compensation.
Where do we apply? Joe has so many health problems...too many
to enumerate!!!!!!
Cecil Doty's message didn't come through on my small e-mail
machine. If you could help us, it would be greatly appreciated.
Keep well! You are needed!
Hugs, Marie-Louise Spencer

Tell Joe to go right away to state headquarters for DAV, Am. Legion or any veterans organization and tell them that he wants to apply for compensation. The will do all the paper work for him .

He should get compensation for any wounds, tinnitus , ringing in the ears and PTSD, Post Thematic Tress Disorder. Anyone who has the Combat Infantry Badge has been in Combat has been through something that is not natural.
Trying to kill someone who is trying to kill you.

All five members who have heeded my instructions have received compensation or an increase.

Apply yesterday since awards are retroactive to date of application.-Ben
ED Phillips
Ben; Have been getting your mail call for many years and enjoying it all , Thank you for the news of my friends of the 517th. Would you please change my email address to epphil2@yahoo.com so I can continue hearing from you.  Thanks  Ed Phillips - member of the 596 Engineers  -

Ed, Why not come to the Florida reunion. Guaranteed no snow. Ed lives in Maine.-Ben
 Lois J. Shortt

Hi,

   Tom McAvoy gave me your email address. Bill Shortt is my husband of 62 years. He was a prisoner of war in WWII, having been captured in Italy in 1943. He had made a few jumps behind enemy lines, but was driving a jeep at the time of his capture. He was a prisoner for just under a year. I did not know him until we met at UGA after the war. I have tried unsuccessfully to find out in which prison camps he was held. He thinks he was in three different ones, one of which was located at Frankfurt on the Main River. His memory is very hazy now, and when he could remember, he would not talk about being a POW. I
would appreciate any web sites that I might try for information.

                 Very sincerely,

                     Lois J. Shortt

Lois, Bill may be confused.  The 517th did not go overseas until 1944 and the 517th made only one jump behind lines.  The prison camps no longer exist .Best to concentrate on the fact that he volunteered to become a paratrooper.-Ben

Merle McMorrow

Ben:

The prison camps where Shortt spent time as a POW no longer exist.  Since it is painful for him to relive the memories of those days she should spend time reliving the good memories of the past 62 years.  Finding the location of the POW camps can serve no useful purpose.

Merle