From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:20 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; EDLINK74@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1859 - 517TH PRCT-AUGUST 30, 2009

 We have many photos from our visit to Belgium and France. Besides links , I will place the more interesting ones in Mail Calls from time to time.

 Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

 Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

Photos from Europe trip 2009

Myrle Traver, F Co. biography

Michael A. Sura, H Co. biography

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

  Dear Ben:
    Until this afternoon, the press of work kept me from reading Mail Calls #1854 through 1858.  To read them in the same sitting was indescribable experience as they transported me to the 517th's wonderful trip to France and Belgium and to being with the remarkable Irma, Arnold, Maria, Patricia, Roland, Eddie, Eric, Jean Michael who have done so much to preserve the history and memory of the contributions of the 517th.  I am so grateful to you and Claire for sharing summaries of the outstanding experiences and the impact on those whom you, Hal, Leo, and Merle touched with your stories, Merle's comments and Howard Hensleigh's certificates, as well as the emails from the families you met at Draguignan and even the flight attendant on the plane coming back from Europe.  Thank you to all who made this trip possible and thank you to all who shared their reactions and photos for the rest of us to savor.
     Sincerely, Pat Seitz and Alan Greer
PS  Thank you also for the link to the CSPAN commemoration of the D-Day invasion at the Eisenhower Presidential Library and for the web site on Frank Campos
Rick Sweet
Hi Ben,
       I am glad that you had a great trip and made it home safely. I loved the pictures and the stories that are still coming in. I wish that I could've been there with you to see the places where my dad fought. He was just a simple country boy before joining the paratroopers and he got to see some beautiful country under the most dangerous conditions. Could you kind of point out to me the place where you were wounded. I suspect that my dad was wounded in the same area on the same day of January 5th 1945. He was with you in H co and shrapnel hit his ear. It really scared him when it hit and he thought he was hurt worse then he was. He ran from there to an aid station where he heard that so many casualties had occurred. He and we were very lucky that it wasn't worse. I have never been able to find his name in the records but he did receive a purple heart with an oak leaf cluster. He was also hit in the big toe on a different occasion. Shrapnel went through his boot! I guess those records were lost in the fire.

   I finished the "Paratroopers Odyssey" not too long ago
which was a pretty good book. Soon I will be starting on
" More Than Courage", a book about the 504th. He was with them before he was a replacement sent to the 517th on Oct 9, 1944 They sure did move you guys around allot!
        Thanks again for sending all of us your pictures and story. It is very helpful to us that couldn't be there. I am also very thankful for the 517th mail call and web page that has given me so much information that I didn't have before. It has become very important to me indeed!  God Bless

SOB
Rick Sweet
 Photos from Belgium and France

Trois Ponts mayoral office

 Irma and Arnold Targnion with the with Gene Frice and daughters