From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2006 8:27 PM
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1144 517TH PRCT- JULY 2, 2006
70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Tom Cross's mail  below has  already been sent to Board of Directors and a few others for their evaluation. I'm including it in Mail Call  so that  all members can add or comment on it. It is getting past the time to push and shove. It's time to jump.

  Annual Reunion
July 17-22, 2006

Portland, OR

REGISTRATION FORM

Bob Christie

Ben, Until Mildred's heart problem improves, we will not be taking any trips away from home. She had another stent implanted. It should have been two but the surgeon was unable to do the second. She needs  a lot of rest and isn't able to drive at present. She needs lots of prayer. Bob
 Tom Cross

  Personal:
     Bette and I will be unable to attend the 2006 Portland National Reunion due to medical commitments. Additionally, I do not wish to have my name placed in nomination for any future Association Office. Medical reasons prevail in this decision.

    517th PRCT Association Concerns and Suggestions:
    I am concerned that our Association is not devoting sufficient emphasis and effort to future requirements that face us as we move closer to turning over our 517th Heritage to the 517 Auxiliary Association. We are fast approaching the time when our Association will pass into US Army Airborne History. We must leave our Legacy and Historical Heritage for the now present generation and those yet to come.
    The 517th Auxiliary Association has yet to spread its wings and become a joint companion in insuring that we pass on to them our Legacy.  We have much to do
in this regard and so little time to do it. We must address this situation squarely and quickly. It appears that our immediate concerns are taking our attention leaving little time and effort devoted to the future.
    In order to initiate forward momentum I suggest that the following actions be addressed starting at the Portland National Reunion. Any decision requirements can be expedited by using the our 517th PRCT Web Site. Ben Barrett who is one of our Directors will be present to assist.
    The Following Suggestions Refer:
    1. The Armed Forces Reunions Inc. be designated to conduct our 2007 National Reunion.
    2. A Joint Association and Auxiliary Reunion Planning Committee be appointed to assist the Armed Forces Reunions Inc. Team. This Committee can provide the guidance and requirements for the 2007 National Reunion and others that may follow.
    3. The Reunion Site for the 2007 National Reunion should be selected and approved by the Association Officers and Directors providing the Association Constitution and By Laws so permit.
    4. The Regional Selection Policy for our National Reunions should be revisited. Our Membership at Reunions whether they be National or Mini is steadily declining. It is suggested that we continue our Minis  as we do currently but have the Joint Association and Auxiliary Reunion Planning Committee recommend the sites for the National Reunions. The reduced attendance at the National Reunions is steadily decreasing to the point that their attendance is not sufficient to represent or make decisions for the absentee Membership. National Reunions sites should be based on ease of travel and have universal appeal as regards to facilities, entertainment, and historical and cultural attractions.
    5. The Office of the Association Treasurer should become a separate entity divorced from  the Publisher Editorship of The Thunderbolt. The dual responsibility of Treasurer and Publisher/Editor is too much for a single person to handle as proved by past experience. I refer to the time when Merle McMorrow undertook the difficult job of getting our financial affairs back in order after we lost our Association Executive Secretary who was both Treasurer and Publisher/Editor of The Thunderbolt.
    6. The Thunderbolt plays an important communication role in keeping our Association
Members informed if they are not using a computer to keep up with the news and events offered on our 517th PRCT Web Site. At the present time we are having difficulty in recognizing the validity of The Thunderbolt circulation numbers as we are sending more copies than we have paid subscribers. This needs to be corrected and a proper accounting put into effect without delay.  The past system of payment of dues (contributions), to include supporting The Thunderbolt, should be discontinued and a more efficient system substituted.
It is suggested that an Annual Statement of Charges for dues (contributions) be sent to each Association Member. This request would be for payment of the following separate items:
Annual Dues (Contribution), Subscription for The Thunderbolt, and such other things as contributions to support the attendance of Unofficial Foreign Guests or whatever. Official Foreign Guests attendance would be paid from the Association Treasury as authorized by the Officers and Directors of the Association. This would help clarify how many copies of The Thunderbolt were needed for the those Members that elected to pay the subscription fee. A subscription to The Thunderbolt and/or donation/contribution to the Unofficial Foreign Guest Program should be optional if desired. Payment of Annual Dues (contribution) would not be optional.  The Association Treasurer could provide whatever format best used for the conditions just described.  The Auxiliary could use a similar system if so desired. This procedure is long overdue.
    7. A Foreign Visitor Policy is needed to prevent the annual confusion about inviting foreign guests to our National Reunions. What is needed is a policy that sets out the guidelines of how they will be supported. and by whom.  The Board Of Directors could develop a policy that provides for the recognition of Official Guests. to not exceed two Official Guests from Sospel and two associated with the French sponsored Museum in our WW II airborne operations area.. Monetary support from the Association could be limited to Reunion Fees, Lodging and Transportation, officially sponsored meals etc. The Savannah National Reunion would be an excellent reference for thought on this matter. All unofficial foreign guests would be supported by Association donors and or from private sources. It will continue to cause embarrassment and some anguish until we get a workable policy in place.
    8. The 517th PRCT Auxiliary Association should have more visibility and increasing responsibility in the affairs of our Association. The Thunderbolt should be giving the Auxiliary Association coverage and actually have a section that permits them to indicate their activities and other items of joint interest. Fortunately the ground work has been in place but progress in joint participation is about nil at the present time. We can do better too. Let's get started with more joint participation and then we will see the pace increase.
    Conclusion
    It is hoped that this message will instill an appreciation of some of the areas we must get a handle on as we proceed to establish our well deserved prestige in the history of airborne warfare.
Respectfully
Tom Cross
Vice President 517th PRCT Association
Claire Giblin

Hi Ben -

I know that many in the 517 are gearing up for Portland.  When last we heard, Eric and Jean Michel will be attending from France.  Eric and Jean Michel run the Musee de la Liberation in Le Muy.

Those of you on Mail Call know what friends Eric and Jean Mi have been to the entire outfit and their families.  They serve as a source of information and organization to us when we visit, and they are tireless in their recognition of your efforts on behalf of their beloved France.  Nearly every email I receive from them expresses their gratitude - they are truly wonderful people who love you all.

If all goes well with the issuance of their new passports (to qualify under new US travel restrictions), they'll be at Portland.

We in the Auxiliary have been concerned about 517 memorabilia.  It was one of the things we discussed last summer:  the horror of finding things for sale on ebay or in garage sales, usually because people don't know what they've inherited.  Personally, I find that disrespectful and demeaning.  If troopers have loving and caring families who will care for your 517 relics/treasures/souvenirs/photographs/written documentation/letters to home/letters from home, and so on - please make the arrangements (now!) so that people will know the importance of what they are receiving.

In the absence of interested family members, please consider donating your memorabilia to the Musee.  I assure you that it would be lovingly cared for and proudly displayed (not stored in a drawer), accompanied by a placard indicating that you donated the item.  In addition, the town would like to expand the Musee, so there will probably be even more room in the future.  This summer is a perfect time to hand things personally to Eric and Jean Michel.  They are your friends, and will tell the story to future generations.

Thank you all for your service, and for your consideration on this issue.

 Anne Eckert Valliere

Hello,

My Uncle Carroll was Carroll Eckert in G Company - he was the guy mentioned in the book Paratroopers' Odyssey on page 67 - "One man who had been given up for dead crawled back after dark". I believe after he left Italy, he parachuted into France around August 15th. On September 9th he was shot and managed to crawl back to the American troops, who almost shot him, too.

I lost my paper with the information that he gave me, but it's here somewhere. He enlisted at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and trained in Washington state.

When I find my papers, I will be able to give you more details. He is still alive and lives in York, Pennsylvania.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anne Eckert Valliere (from PA and MD)
Barre, Vermont (now)

Boom Boom Alicki

Daniel and Audrey Curtis

To All the 517th Troopers and their families a fond wish for a great holiday! To all the brave men of the 517th here and gone, my family and I THANK YOU for my FREEDOM! God bless our TROOPS and may GOD light there way everyday and night and bring them safely home when their duty is completed! A special thought to Danny Ogniewski and Uncle Floyd Polk on this glorious weekend.
Daniel Curtis/Audrey (Ogniewski) Curtis

 Entry of Jun 28, 2006 at 18:17 [EST]
Name: Tom Larson
Unit:
EMail: bigwood@prtel.com
How I found the 517th page: Link from another web page
Comments: Looking for someone who may remember my grandfather Gerald W. Larson. He served in the 517th PRCT Company C.

 Darrell Egner

Tom Cross hit the nail on the head.  I'm sure he put a lot of though into his comments and for the most part I agree with every thing he wrote.  I should probably address my remarks to the Executive Association, however, I believe the Rank & File should be made aware of this crises.  Gene Frice, I hope you printed Tom's mail and that you will devote the necessary time in your meeting to cover each item.  I am going to put my two cents into Tom's Suggestions by the number.

1`)    By all means use the Armed Forces Reunions Inc. for our 2007 National Reunion.  I would suggest that we meet some where in the Midwest.

2)    A committee of the 517 is a good idea to provide guidance to the AFR both for location and activities.

3)    Covered in number two above.

4)    The Auxiliary should take an active part in the selection of the next reunion and the actives and location associated with it.

5)    This is a tough one!  Bob Christie does such a great job as our Treasurer and publisher of the Thunderbolt that how can we replace him.  I agree that the job is too much for one person, but who could do it better?  Hopefully someone in the Auxiliary could take over the publishing of the Thunderbolt.

6)    I have talked and written about Dues and a separate account for the Thunderbolt for over a year.  I have yet to get any comments one way or another.  Without going into a lot of detail I believe every member of the association should pay $30/year dues as we voted on this amount two years ago.  No exceptions.  Publishing the Thunderbolt should be a separate account and a subscription of  X dollars (determined by our cost to publish) should be charged to all that wish to receive it.  Case in point, I subscribe to 10 magazine's, if I don't pay they do not deliver.

7)    The Foreign Visitor Policy seems to be working with contributions from various members.  I don't see a need for change with perhaps placing a limit on who to invite.

8)    Boy this is a can of worms.  When Howard H proposed setting up an Auxiliary about three years ago I and most others thought it was a wonderful idea.  My thoughts ran along the line of at last we will have an active group to carry on the proud tradition of the 517 after most of us are gone.  Well it didn't work out that well.  I suggest that we invite the Auxiliary Board to take part in the Men's Business meeting (yes ladies too).  Schedule the Auxiliary meeting so it doesn't conflict with the men's meeting.  This way the Auxiliary Board could report back to it's members.

I put this together so all members of the 517 would have an incite into our mutual problems, not just the Board.  I look forward to all comments and minutes of the board meeting in Portland.  Do to a long standing commitment I will be unable to attend one of my favorite cities.

Darrell Egner