From: Ben517
Sent: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 7:57:27 PM Eastern Standard Time
Subject: MAIL CALL NO.1039 517TH PRCT- JANUARY 9, 2006

70 Pleasant St. Cohasset, MA.02025  *781 383 0215 * Mail Call : Ben Barrett  Ben517@aol.com

Hello,

Website                                   www.517prct.org
Roster                                    www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

January 22-25, 2006
Bradenton, FL

 Copies of Paratroopers' Odyssey can be purchased for $22.50 from Bob Christie.  390 301 Blvd. W. Unit 10C, Bradenton, Fl. 34205

Jeff Wilhoit

For Ted Crawford and John Bramswig,
Please contact me at sjwilhoit@insightbb.com
For Ted,
My dad was a radio operator In A Co. He was wounded in Bergstein Feb. 8, '45. Dad doesn't remember much as he was whacked out on morphine. He did remember an aid station that was in a barn. Perhaps your dad was the one that pulled him to safety.
For John,
I have seen your father-in-law's name Marconi in my dads stuff. There is a lot of "stuff" so it may take me awhile but I will look.
Jeff Wilhoit
Lafayette, IN
Son of Sgt.  William (Bill) Wilhoit of A Company. ( Toccoa to Bergstein)

Ted Crawford
Jeff,
Sounds like a pretty good chance. Dad's commission letter says that this happened in February 1945.  It mentions a city of Zerkell but I am not sure what all little towns were around. Put it this way... I really think we have a match. This is very nice to hear.  I hope your Dad is well.  I posted information and a copy of the newspaper articles on my dad when he received his Star.  They are under the Pictures on the 517th web site. You have to scroll down to find Robert L. Crawford. Actually, I will send a direct link.  It will be very nice to share your email with my mother and my family.  Thanks for writing back, Jeff.  Tell your dad I think he is a hero. And thank him for all he did in making our life possible.
My sister Gloria and her husband Denny Carlile, live in Lafayette. I am a Purdue Graduate and I ran track for Purdue in 1972-74 so my mother and father were in Lafayette many times.  Thanks to Ben, we found each other.  As you will see in the newspaper article, my father was from Hillsdale Michigan at the time.  We moved to Indiana when Dad was about 40 years of age. He lived the rest of an exciting and happy life in Highland, Indiana. Dad and Mom had my sister two other boys, Larry, Veteran of Vietnam, Frank, Army Reserve.  I was the youngest and I was drafted in 1972 but the war ended and I went to Purdue instead of Vietnam.
 This is pretty intriguing story and worth sharing with the rest of the 517th if your dad is interested. It is unfortunate my dad didn't get to meet your father again. He wondered whatever happened to him.  He didn't think he did much more that anyone else would have done.  I'm sure your dad was like that too about all the things he accomplished in WWII. It is a trait of the entire generation.
 Here is the link to information about Robert L. Crawford and the news article.
 Regards,
Ted L. Crawford
1001 N. Buckeye Rd.
Muncie, Indiana 47304 (being annexed into Yorktown, Indiana soon)
Home 765-759-8187
Cell 765-744-3810
 My mother's email is jeanbobcraw@sbcglobal.net
Gene Snyder
Dear Ben - Hope you are O.K. by now.
 Sending a note for sons Ted Crawford and Jeff Wilhoit.

Ted, I was a radioman and runner in Co. A,  and also one of the 12
or so that were still walking with your father on our last day of
combat.  Sgt. Bill Wilhoit had the Radio and was severely wounded
that day.  I believe your father Bob Crawford was the one that
carried him to safety under enemy fire.   So many things happened
that day it would fill a book.   I never knew what happened to
Wilhoit, but this past year I was amazed to receive an e-mail
from his son Jeff and found that he had recovered , got home,
married, raised a nice family and past away not long ago.
Contact Jeff as he is also a recipient of Ben's mail call.

There are still several A Co. troopers alive and kicking, maybe
the silent type?   You should see Rita and Jay Castello (A Co.)
do the swing thing at our Palm Springs mini.   The keeper of our
A Company Roster and historical datum is Bob Rust in New Orleans.
He is not online.

Happy New Year to all     Gene "Zoot" Snyder

 Tom Cross

Ben:
    I will be unable to attend the coming Florida Mini Reunion. Bette undergoes knee replacement surgery on January 11th and this will curtail our travel plans for the next several
months.
    I note Bob Christie's current dilemma with the Florida Mini Reunion and I continue to have a feeling of apprehension for the Association's future Reunion Programs whether they be National or Regional .I still favor permanent Reunion sites with permanent committees to plan for and be responsible for each Reunion. It is now getting to be a big  responsibility for single entities to plan and  conduct Reunions without backup or an alternate replacement if needed. Assistance from qualified outside  agencies should be investigated for possible assistance.
    I found out that these agencies do exist and that the Chambers of Commerce in the vicinity of our large military installations also have this capability and do desire to assist. Additionally, our 517th PRCT Auxiliary should be heard from in this matter. Frankly. I think that we have had " our heads in the sand " on this issue and need to accelerate our thinking on this and other issues affecting the 517th PRCT Auxiliary or we will only hasten our demise as an Association.
    Before signing off on this message I wish to say a word about Bob Christie and his wonderful wife.  They have already done and are continuing to do what has been a labor of love in loyally supporting the 517th PRCT. As Treasurer, Editor and Publisher of the 517th PRCT THUNDERBOLT plus sponsoring the Annual Florida Mini Reunion Bob has done more than can be expected of a Super Trooper. Those of us who diligently read the 517th PRCT Mail Call are aware of the fact that Bob has health problems equal to or greater than we do and that we should implore this great Trooper to start  winding down his activities, on our behalf, and start seeking assistance or relief from his many self appointed tasks.  I have tried to do this in the past but failed to recognize his love and devotion to his duties and also his stubbornness not to quit. If you feel like I do about Bob how about some help in getting him to give this some more thought
Regards, Tom Cross
Tom McAvoy

Are there anymore estimates on when the 4th quarterly Thunderbolt will
come out??? I have purchased our Air tickets for Portland Oregon
already?? About the Medics name Ben in H company?? did you believe
somebody would send it in or did I miss it?? Tom McAvoy
The medics  were Arthur Graham, Maurice White and Leslie Post. Arthur Graham's daughters and Maurice White's widow  are on Mail Call roster.-Ben